[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Styles and Formatting Panel toggle enhancement

Daniel Mania daniel.mania at umb.no
Mon Aug 27 04:37:41 PDT 2012

Hei everyone!

Being an Opera user, I was wondering if we could improve LibreOffice
usability greatly by introducing a tiny change to the "Styles and
Formatting Panel toggle" behavior.
The S&F window can be docked as a panel to the right/left side of the
screen and LibreOffice adds a toggle bar to that panel. When LibreOffice
is maximized, this panel can be opened by simply moving the mouse cursor
to the right/left edge of the screen (just like in Opera). Unfortunately
the toggle bar is moved along with the opened panel, and is then no
longer located at the screen edge. If it would remain at it's position,
the same simple mouse action to open the panel could be used to close it
again.
I made a mockup of what I am trying to explain here, and attached it to
this mail.

Another thing, that is certainly more difficult to implement, would be
the possibility to dock other toolbars than S&F to a side panel.

I absolutely love the side panel in Opera because it gives access to
bookmarks and other things with a click, without the need to aim the
mouse cursor at anything. And the side panel may cover a substantial
part of the screen to make it more usable, since another simple click at
the edge of the screen will make it disappear again.

Greetings,
Daniel M