[Libreoffice-ux-advise] localize spreadsheet style template names runtime

Mirek M. mazelm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 10:30:29 PDT 2012

Hi Olivier,

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Olivier Hallot <
olivier.hallot at documentfoundation.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Em 28-08-2012 08:30, Mirek M. escreveu:
> >

> > Given that there's no way to add or edit the theme and that the default
> > themes are pretty bad, I would keep it where it is for now.
>

> while I agree the themes are pretty tasteless, the point is, 1) if it is
> burried, no one will take care

It's not a good practice to clutter the main UI with useless dialogs, as
per Hick's law.

I also wouldn't say it's an effective way to get developers working on a
dialog. The Gallery, for example, is featured quite prominently, yet it has
gone unmaintained and remains barely useful/usable. And despite styles
being lauded as better than hard formatting and the style dialog being in
the forefront of Writer, Impress, and Calc, the style dialog remains hard
to use, cluttered with a plethora of styles, lacking in previews, and with
style editing hidden under a right-click menu.

2) Why with Impress
> templates/backgrounds and not Calc?

Impress doesn't feature themes and its templates are about as accessible as
Calc's, so this is not really a fair comparison.

If Impress did feature themes, which I hope will happen down the line, they
should be accessible up front if and only if a) they are editable and/or b)
the bundled selection is of high quality, since it's useless offering the
user some bad themes they can't change.

The same goes for Calc.

> > If we find a willing developer who would at least add editing
> > functionality, then I'd be open to featuring it more prominently.
>
> What exaclty you mean in terms of editing? May be it is just add another
> template at the right place (not checked yet).

Quoting from the Calc Help page [1]: "It is not possible to add themes to
Calc, and they cannot be modified."

[1] http://help.libreoffice.org/Calc/Selecting_Themes_for_Sheets