[Libreoffice-ux-advise] new listbox in calc options pages

Stefan Knorr heinzlesspam at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 15:41:43 PST 2012

Hi Markus,

> Since 4.0 we are able to use the cached values written into OOXML
> files to prevent a slow recalculation when opening a file. Hoewever
> Excel and Calc don't always give the same result for formulas so we
> (Eike, Kohei and me) agreed that we need to give the user a choice
> wether to recalculate the formulas or not.

How are users supposed to know when they need it and when they don't?

I'd assume that if users are supposed to work with the spreadsheet in
LibO, they need to use the numbers that LibO generates ... thus, what
would sound more sensible to me would be an automatic blacklisting of
certain formulas whose results you know to be different in LibO than in
MSO (and then recalculate everything that depends on these, of course).
Of course, I don't know if that would gain us a net speed win in the end
(given how you have to check the whole spreadsheet for blacklisted
functions).

> To be able to change them later they should also appear in the options
> pages with the 3 choices: Always, Ask, Never. To which Calc options
> page should we add this new listbox?

One idea would be to put it in the Load/Save–MS Office panel.
You'd have to shorten the list of converted OLE objects (it has only
four entries after all), and below you could add an option
"Recalculate Excel formula results when loading a spreadsheet".
(While you're at it–this page really needs a section header "OLE
Objects".)

A second idea, would be to put the same option at the end of Calc–
Calculate.

Astron.