[Libreoffice-ux-advise] new listbox in calc options pages

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Tue Dec 11 22:32:02 PST 2012

Hi Markus & team ;-)

Markus Mohrhard wrote (07-12-12 22:35)

> Since 4.0 we are able to use the cached values written into OOXML
> files to prevent a slow recalculation when opening a file. Hoewever
> Excel and Calc don't always give the same result for formulas so we
> (Eike, Kohei and me) agreed that we need to give the user a choice
> wether to recalculate the formulas or not. This is already implemented
> [...]

It's not only a matter of speed and not always giving the same results.
Unless I'm misinformed, it's a drastic change in behaviour. For the
first time, users are sure they can always (?) open an Excel-sheet and
be sure that what they see is what they get... I mean what they see is
what has been saved.
Especially in larger sheets, and those where undocumented or not yet
solved differences in behaviour (reg. arguments or ranges for some
formulae) exist.
I know some of those examples from real life.
Is my understanding correct?

Of course I think it deserves a clear explanation in Help and Release
notes, with examples that help users understand whether they should
bother at all.
But also it looks as a very important new feature for enterprise
deployments.

  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org
  - www.librelex.org