[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Advice required on auto text resize (Impress)

Stefan Knorr heinzlesspam at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 02:51:10 PST 2012

Hi Cor,

On Wed, 2012-12-12 at 07:47 +0100, Cor Nouws wrote:
> > * First of all, I don't really understand how to enable the autofit
> > feature on an abitrary new "TextEdit" [1]. The only way I know how to
> > enable it is to choose a certain slide template. And only then this item
> > appears in the context menu, so you can turn it off.
>
> For me this is the most important part.
> When editing, also when pasting larger pieces of text, you get lost on
> what is happening and how to have control.

Good that we agree on this one.

>   isn't  18pt  arbitrary? Depending on language (CTL..) too?

I think there probably is some science to why this is the minimum
acceptable size for Latin text in typical projector setups with a
typical audience (I've not researched that, though).

Of course, many Asian languages use very complicated characters, and in
that case, it's probably advisable to go above that. The same goes for
the case of having a very small projector image or having a (even
slightly) vision-impaired audience.

> > [1] Really, we're showing that in the status bar ... that's definitely
> > implementation terminology in the wrong place. "Text Field" might be
> > more fitting.
>
> It indicates you are editing text, so TextEdit does make some sense, IMO.

All the same, TextEdit does not look or sound like plain English.

Astron.