[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Writer Styles Drop-Down problem

Mirek M. mazelm at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 06:47:28 PST 2012

Hi everyone,

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Stefan Knorr <heinzlesspam at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Mirek, Kendy, all,
>
> On Fri, 2012-12-14 at 20:24 +0100, Mirek M. wrote:
> > I would opt for changing the background, but instead of black, how about
> > shade of gray.
> > Here's how I would imagine it:
> http://ubuntuone.com/4qCSsk66C8mFTSbXFX4NOF .
> > I tried to keep it distinct from the way a style with white text and a
> > colored background would be displayed  -- hopefully, it's apparent which
> > one is which from the mockup.
>
> I am not really sure this is the best idea here, because it only looks a
> bit different than a normal black background. Additionally, the rounded
> outline doesn't really work well together with the square selection.

You're right.

> Another idea I had was to not change anything about the style itself,
> but just add a "warning" triangle ( /!\ ) or some other icon on the
> right side that would say "this style might be unreadable". What do you
> think?

I really like the idea, and I prefer it to Christoph's suggestion.
Rather than a warning, though, I'd make the icon (and its on-hover label)
more informative, as a) on a black background, white text would be readable
and black unreadable, so the label would be false then, and b) as Christoph
points out, the preview has a font size limit, so there's an icon needed
for that as well.

So I would propose these triangular icons:
* white text: a white "a" on a black background
* large text: the lower part of a large "a" cut off by the rectangle shape