[Libreoffice-ux-advise] The "no border text" feature in Writer 3.5 is not complete

Stefan Knorr (Astron) heinzlesspam at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 15 06:46:13 PST 2012

Hi.

On 15 February 2012 15:37, Vit <vitruss at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Sorry to be here in this list, I've read about the problem and have some ideas
> how to solve this issue with borders:
>
> 1. Most of users wanting this borders are typing a lot and, to my mind, have
> to work with shown non-printing characters. So the fist idea is to show
> borders with non-printing characters enabled.

Note that 3.5 also adds hanging punctuation etc. So this might
actually look quite ugly now.

> 2. The second thing is for the people working with images a lot. The idea is
> to show border with thin or dashed line only when user moves (drags or moves
> using the keyboard) an object (Table, Image, etc.). And the other thing is
> making border appear when something is snapped to it. I think it will be
> useful, when object snaps to the border and you see, that it snaps to the
> border exactly, but not to the other grid line.

This sounds like a good idea and would help with Rainer's test case in
fdo# 46073.

> 3. Add the check box to show the page borders to Tools → Options → LibreOffice
> Writer → Grid. I think this is the place for such king of check box. I've read
> you don't want to add it, but some users think that should be the way to get
> the borders back and this menu have lots of free space and it's logical to
> place the check box there.

Cédric just said no on the dev list (there's a similar thread) and I
have to concur. We already have enough options (I believe).

Astron.