[Libreoffice-ux-advise] System::Beep() removal

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Tue Feb 21 06:25:09 PST 2012

Hi Thomas,

On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 13:20 +0100, Thomas Arnhold wrote:
> I recently discovered that there's a more or less complete usage of
> acoustic beeps in Libo. This is done by System::Beep(). I did a grok for
> "Beep" and got 59 results all over the code. I don't think that is much.
> Is this a left over from former times?! Moreover I think most people
> have beeps disabled on their systems.

	Code-wise, this is the VCL sound API ?

class VCL_DLLPUBLIC Sound
{
public:
    static void Beep( SoundType eType = SOUND_DEFAULT, Window* pWindow = NULL );
};

	If so, calling XBell which is what it does underneath it can cause some
serious problems on multi-user / remote X machines (with beeps in all
the wrong places)

> What do you think, is it save to remove it?! Or would you think this
> would be a gain in usability?

	Would be nice to drop the code IMHO; if UX generally can cope with that
of course :-)

	ATB,

		Michael.