[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [Libreoffice] [REVIEW 3-5: Late feature] Improvements in the header / footer behavior

Cedric Bosdonnat cbosdonnat at suse.com
Wed Jan 4 05:57:09 PST 2012

Hi Astron, all,

Due to the UI problems around the page break tabs, I chose to change the
way those are positioned (see the attached screenshot). With the
following commit in master branch, the page break tab is shown just
where the mouse is when hovering the page break line. The page break
doesn't to the left or right of the page anymore as it causes quite some
usability problems.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=965e72d64c3e38780a69cace3f1bcc5fb35d6c1e

Any opinion on that patch? Should we cherry-pick it to the 3.5 branch?

On Mon, 2012-01-02 at 09:54 +0100, Cedric Bosdonnat wrote:
> > So, for the future, we have the following drawing bugs present here:
> > * Page breaks: When moving with the mouse cursor from one page break
> > to the next very quickly, their little tabs don't disappear any more
>
> I'll have a look at that.

That is fixed in master with th new page breaks tab.

> > * Page breaks: The dotted lines are drawn above the little tabs
>
> That can be fixed quickly.

Tabs and lines don't overlap at all with the new page breaks tab: it was
pretty complex to handle the Z-order with the other page break lines, so
this motivated a lot the new page breaks tabs.

> > Another one that annoys me quite a bit (but can't be seen in Ivan's screenshot):
> > * Page breaks: the dotted line seems to move forward instead of just
> > being overlaid by the tab.
>
> Ok, I'll fix that one as it causes another bug (flickering tab when
> moving the mouse over the left end of the line)

Well! those bugs can't happen anymore with the new tabs: the line is
always at the same position.

Regards,
--
Cedric