[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Floppy Disk ...

Stefan Knorr (Astron) heinzlesspam at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 6 09:44:10 PST 2012

Hi Michael,

>        So - unless people scream; I'd like to replace Save and SaveAs with
> these images from gnome-cvs:
>
> http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/tango/tango-icon-theme/22x22/actions/document-save.png?revision=1.2
> http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/tango/tango-icon-theme/16x16/actions/document-save.png?revision=1.2
> http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/tango/tango-icon-theme/22x22/actions/document-save-as.png?revision=1.1
> http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/tango/tango-icon-theme/16x16/actions/document-save-as.png?revision=1.1
>
>        Let the screaming begin :-) failing that I'd like to get them in for B3
> next week. Thanks for the reminder Jakub - though - are these the latest
> tango icons ? ...

Scream. I know of this icon set [1], and know that these are in the
PD, but ... these particular two icons are at least not my favourites
as far as Tango icons go.
I don't know if any of you agree, but I think it is pretty hard to
discern what the white-ish/grey thing is (a hard drive), also the hard
drive is also one of these inventions that slowly goes out of fashion.
(And, Jakub, Garrett, please don't understand this as an attack on
Tango/you personally – Tango/your work generally is great.)

The Gnome icons I meant are these:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-icon-theme/plain/gnome/24x24/actions/document-save.png
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-icon-theme/plain/gnome/16x16/actions/document-save.png

The 24*24 one is really amazing and very, very descriptive, the 16*16
one is maybe a bit harder to decipher, because it's more simplified,
but on most systems the larger size seems to be the default anyway.

Now, there's another question with regard to our icons: how are they
actually licensed? The Human icon theme folder for instance, contains
this:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/icon-themes/human/CopyrightsTango
I know, Human came into the repository long after the fork. So, is
that document moot now?
Also, how do software licenses apply to icons, do we actually need to
stress out on licensing here?

Regards,

Astron.

[1] Although, what I didn't know, is that there's a CVS repo ... I
used to download the zip archive from Wayback Machine because the
Tango homepage is a bit broken currently.