[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Floppy Disk ...

Stefan Knorr (Astron) heinzlesspam at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 8 06:06:06 PST 2012

Hi Lapo, everyone else,

On 6 January 2012 20:11, Lapo Calamandrei <calamandrei at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm missing some bits here, is it for libreoffice usage? Anyway I'm
> happy to relicense the icons whatever you need as long as it is for an
> oss project.

Yes, these would then be used in the Tango theme of the upcoming
LibreOffice 3.5. Not to get too bureaucratic, but the licenses you'd
have to agree to would be LGPL v3+ and MPL.

The files would be these:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-icon-theme/tree/gnome/24x24/actions/document-save-as.png
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-icon-theme/tree/gnome/24x24/actions/document-save.png
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-icon-theme/tree/gnome/16x16/actions/document-save-as.png
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-icon-theme/tree/gnome/16x16/actions/document-save-as.png

I've attached a patch that replaces the appropriate diskette icons in
our theme with your (Lapo's) Save As icons. Additionally, this patch
imports a Reload icon from the tango.freedesktop.org artwork and
removes a few now-obsolete source xcf.bz2's.

There is one diskette-containing icon that would still have to be
replaced, i.e. the Save As Template icon (cmd/lc_saveastemplate.png,
cmd/sc_saveastemplate.png). From my point of view, it doesn't make
much sense to use the original Save icon for this. Additionally, I
doubt a bit whether we actually need an icon for this action (that
does not seem to be used in any default toolbar configurations anyway)
– if others see this similarly, I'll fix up a quick patch to remove it
from all themes (I hope it's that easy, haven't tried).

It'd make me extremely happy if we could get even more of the current
Gnome icons into LibreOffice to update our Tango theme with –
hopefully I'm not asking too much here... in any case, I like how
Tango has evolved. It might also make LibreOffice look much more
Gnome-friendly immediately (it's not just the icons, I know that).

> 2012/1/6 Jakub Steiner <jimmac at gmail.com>:
>> gnome-icon-theme is LGPL3/CCBYSA3. The author of the two icons in question
>> is Lapo I believe. I'm pretty sure he'll be willing to relicense under the
>> terms you need. CCing.

Thanks a lot for doing this so quickly.

Have a nice Sunday,

Astron.