[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Headers / footers / page break indicators & read-only documents

Stefan Knorr (Astron) heinzlesspam at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 31 23:41:11 PST 2012

Hi Kendy,

> We discussed it with Cedric, and we cannot agree whether to show them or
> not for read-only documents ;-) - my view is that when you cannot do
> anything with the controls anyway, don't show them [contrary to eg. the
> links that you still can use to navigate the document], while Cedric
> argues that it is also a formatting hint.
>
> My proposal is to show the page break dashed line even in the read-only
> mode, but no indicator when you put mouse over that.  Regarding
> headers / footers, don't show anything when you put mouse over the
> header / footer area at all.
>
> What do you think?

My opinion is that in read-only mode, LibO should feel as much as a
PDF reader as possible to avoid annoying the user while e.g.
proof-reading his own document or just reading someone else's
document.
Also, note that we don't show the Formatting toolbar (by default) in
read-only mode. We also don't show "invisible" cell borders, etc. So,
from my perspective, the point about this being a formatting hint
isn't really a good one.
So, basically, I'd go even further than you and say that _none_ of the
new indicators need to be visible in r-o mode.

Regards,
Astron.