[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Citrus UI ...

Mirek M. mazelm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 08:23:29 PDT 2012

Hi Michael,
Sorry for not replying sooner.

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at suse.com>wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
>         I was surprised to see this come across my inbox:
>

> https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/faq/general-faq/are-there-any-plans-for-a-new-gui/
>
>         AFAIK Citrus is one of many mockups / ideas for changing the UI,
> but
> (as of yet) is one of many, and has no developers working on it (that I
> know of).

Right.

>         Is there a more helpful text that points people towards the design
> process / pages for improving our UI in incremental ways, and/or any
> ideas of a better blurb to put on that page that stresses incrementalism
> over big-bang re-designs :-) ?
>
> Off the top of my head:

LibreOffice's GUI will change incrementally, improving usability of one
feature at a time. A "big-bang" GUI rework of all modules would require a
much larger developer community and would likely cause more problems than
it would solve.

LibreOffice is almost certainly going to stick to a menu-and-toolbar GUI,
which is ubiquitous across desktop operating systems. On mobile operating
systems such as Android, LibreOffice will adopt a toolbar-based interface
but will strive to be consistent with its desktop counterpart.

If you'd like to see the GUI projects that are being worked on and perhaps
help out, visit the LibreOffice Design
wiki<https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design>
.