[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Color schemes

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Thu Jul 26 04:06:07 PDT 2012

Hi Jan,

Jan Holesovsky schrieb:
> Hi UX guys,
>
> I've been poking around the code that is responsible for the color
> schemes as found in
>
> Tools -> Options... -> Appearance -> Color scheme
>
> There is some terrible duplication of functionality with vcl going on
> there, and I'd love to clean it up.  On the way, I'd like to remove the
> possibility to name the schemes, and switch between them.
>
> My reasoning is that I doubt that a user is going to switch between
> themes just according to her/his mood ;-) - I bet that most of the users
> are happy with the default colors, and the rest will just tweak them
> once, and be done with that for the rest of their life.
>
> So - what is your view on that?  OK for you to remove the Scheme combo
> box + [Save...] and [Delete] buttons?  Or do you have another approach
> to this in mind?

In can imagine these scenarios, where saving a scheme might be useful,
but think they are unlikely:
(1) A school does not use individual accounts and need a way to quickly
change color settings for a visual disabled pupil. [I would advise the
school to give an account or a portable version to that pupil.]
(2) A user works on different places with the same account and monitors
and environments are very different.
(3) A user works with his personal settings but needs a quick change to
the defaults when creating tutorials.

Nevertheless I second the idea of removing the "scheme" option from the
dialog.

The shared macros contain a library "Gimmicks". Perhaps it is possible
to put saving current color settings and loading a stored version in a
module there? That library has already a tool to change user settings.

This problem shows again, that a division in a simple dialog for often
needed settings and an advanced dialog for power users and
administrators is needed.

Kind regards
Regina