[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Disabling file opening and saving in print preview mode

Stefan Knorr (Astron) heinzlesspam at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 3 06:23:31 PDT 2012

Hello again,

so, one thing is always sure, when Regina writes here: lots of the
misunderstandings I have about the inner workings of the product are
resolved. Thanks!

But still...

> As Regina has already pointed out: *page* preview <> print preview. Page
> preview doesn't imply printing. Eg; exporting to PDF is usefully previewed
> with Page preview.

Sure, you can preview a PDF before you export and actually it would be
a useful feature for the PDF export dialogue... but look at what's at
stake: Creating a PDF should take no longer than half a minute (and
that would be for a very long PDF) and no tree is harmed in the
process. So, if you're unhappy with the result you can just go back
and create a new PDF without wasting too many resources (i. e. paper).

As for the paper size/page size difference, I would just want to +1
Björn in that it's a misfeature. Another +1 to Björn for suggesting
that a fullscreen preview mode be added to the Print window.

The most useful thing about the Page Preview indeed seems to be
modifying margins. But that is only useful for Calc users, since in
every other application it is trivial to turn on rulers in the main
view/rulers are by default turned on in the main view. For the
uninitiated, it might also be somewhat counterintuitive to set the
page margins in the Page/Print Preview.

As for 3.6, I do agree with Kohei that it probably would be best to
just hide the menu and Standard toolbar looking at how expensive
adding a fullscreen mode to Print would be.

Regards,
Astron.