[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Enable CTL for Default?

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Tue Jun 19 12:39:22 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 12:52:24PM -0500, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Christian Lohmaier
> > * not treating CTL/Asian scripts as second class (<quote>not to
> > mention that "Asian" is a so ignorant
> > orientalistic term in this context</quote>)
> http://dictionary.reverso.net/english-definition/Orientalistic
> I'm quite confused as to what was meant by this quote.

The option named "Asian" is really about vertical text layout and other
features of CJK writing systems.

Asia is such a large piece of the land that virtually all writing
systems in use today are used in large parts of it, which shows how
ignorant an option name it is, treating "Asians" as some mysterious
group of people doing exotic things AKA Orientalism (in the bad meaning
of it).

So if this option is to stay, it should be given a name that reflects
what it actually does (and even if it goes, there are many instances of
"Asian" in the UI that should be given sensible names).

Regards,
 Khaled