[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Windows look

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Wed Jun 20 08:33:08 PDT 2012

Hi Mirek,

On 2012-06-20 at 15:53 +0200, Mirek M. wrote:

>         This was exactly what I meant by the above paragraph ;-)  So
>         the text is
>         sorted out now:
>
>         http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~kendy/design-list/toolbar-gradient-3.png
>
>         Please let me know if it works for you; I like it :-) -
>         hopefully you
>         too.  I can easily change the size of the glow behind the
>         characters in
>         the menu (like, it can be tighter, or wider), and maybe even
>         its color
>         (to be 'less white'); and tweak the gradient too, if
>         necessary.
>

> To be honest, I prefer the first screenshot you posted [1], though I
> still think a menubar with an opaque background rather than Aero glass
> would be best.

Yes, so now I got far enough with all this that +-anything is possible -
if it is happening in the menu area ;-)  The problem was the transparent
text in the [1]; now I can do it black, without any glow effect, if that
is desired, or make the menu opaque in the area where we have the text,
and transparent elsewhere, or...

> Could you at least make the glow behind the menubar items more
> transparent and wider?
> Also, would it be possible to spread out the menubar items more, such
> as in
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0f/PaintDotNet-3.5-Screenshot.png?

...looking exactly like here (wider, and with the line around the menu),
if that is preferred :-)

I like it, so I'll be glad to do that - would that be the right choice?
Or something completely different?  Can you do a mockup based on my
recent screenshots in that case, please?

[Still; doing a completely opaque menu is a choice too - I've at least
learnt something, so I wouldn't be that sad if we did not use any of the
Aero things, but... ;-)]

> Lastly, compared to MS Office [2], the area of the titlebar and
> menubar combined seems to be quite large. Would it be possible to
> decrease the height of the menubar a bit?

That is unfortunately the only thing that is not possible ATM, as that
would need some larger changes :-(  The height of titlebar + menubar
area is now exactly the same as if there was no effect applied; what I
am doing now is that I extend the titlebar area over the menubar only,
the trick that the MSO uses is that it draws into the titlebar area, and
extends it only a little.  I know how to do that now, but it would be a
too large change for 3.6; would be possible for 3.7 though.

Thank you,
Kendy

[1]
http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~kendy/design-list/toolbar-gradient-2.png