[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Window background (was: Re: [ANN] LibreOffice 3.6.0.0 beta2 available for testing)

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Thu Jun 28 09:15:59 PDT 2012

Hi Astron, Mirek,

Stefan Knorr píše v Čt 28. 06. 2012 v 14:48 +0200:

> > No problem there - just give me the RGB values we should use, and I'll
> > put it there :-)
>
> I experimented with it and thought 213,218,224 looked good. But no
> doubt, Mirek has an opinion on that... which we probably best hear
> before changing it, too.

Mirek? :-)

> > This might be harder - the handling of the color settings is much more
> > complex than it should be, so not sure if I manage to do it in time for
> > Beta3, and I am off for vacation after that; let's see.
>
> In that case, it might be best to leave the background as is for 3.6 (I
> think it's quite alright, so no real urgency to fix it and in
> consequence rub the other two problems in the user's face).
> Should I file bugs about the ruler bg and the Start Center bg staying
> the same, then?

Yes, please do & give me the bug number.  I'll put there code pointers,
in order to easy-hackize it.

> Anyway... I just noticed another sign of breakage that does need to be
> fixed: toolbars which are undocked or docked to the side/bottom: these
> still use the old-style gradient. I think it would be best to colour
> them (solidly) with the colour that's at the bottom of the toolbar.
> Else, the gradient from the top would repeat itself – which I don't
> think would look very attractive.
> (Again, I can file a bug about that.)

Ah, good point.  What is happening here is that we are still using the
Windows theming for the toolbars that are not at the the top of the
window.  What would help most is if you made me a mockup how they should
look like (realistic one, ie. "it should look like this") for the
horizontal, as well as the vertical toolbars.

[It can be a gradient that spans over all the toolbars together, or
solid color, or whatever.  The only problem is that I need it ~now, in
order to implement it tomorrow; I am leaving for vacation on Saturday.]

Thanks a lot,
Kendy