[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Tooltips options removal, was: Automatically select an option page if a user clicks on a category

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Wed Mar 14 12:59:06 PDT 2012

Stefan Knorr (Astron) wrote (06-03-12 14:39)

> If that wouldn't introduce any sort of flicker and came with a nice,
> short, fluid animation, we could try. However, I suspect, that if we
> implemented such behaviour today, the tooltip would suddenly disappear
> and then reappear with a lot more text (kind of like the "Page n of m"
> tooltip does when scrolling with the mouse wheel).
> Thus, I believe this behaviour has a tendency to annoy.

Guess you're right...

>> When having that discussion, I did not remember the wiki or this thread, so
>> funny to see it. And to read on the wiki some related ideas as a solution.
>>
>> So, referring to your statement above, in stead of just removing the option,
>> I would indeed suggest implement a different behaviour.
>> Being either a combination of the short + extended tooltips, or a two steps
>> approach as what I wrote.
>> Then in stead of adding all the texts for the extended tips to the core, I
>> would suggest a tooltip ;-) explaining that the extended ones only are
>> available with local help - which is not a big deal to do after all.
>
> Two things:
> #1 It is a big deal (at least for the target group that our help wants
> to reach, I believe), as this means a separate download and
> installation. If we had a web installer that'd automatically download
> optional components, it'd be less of a problem.

I agree. On the other hand, you may expect that people that can install
LibreOffice also can install the additional small package ?!

> #2 Think about our always-connected future.
Future, indeed. And maybe. Prolly not for all too ..

> Even if we still have
> LibreOffice on our desktops, our help will long-term probably be only
> available on the web. So, if we had those extended tooltips locally,
> that would make sense.
>
> One reason against it: the Win installer is already a huge
> multi-language installer and we'd have to see how much larger it is
> made by adding extended tooltips, also it might be more of a hassle
> for the help authors who'd have to work within both core and help,
> then.

Yes, adding all help involved in this to the core install... is a no go,
I expect.

  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org