[Libreoffice-ux-advise] named formatting attributs, overwrite automatic formatting attributs (paragraph / character)

Rafael Rocha Daud rrdaud at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 17:05:59 PDT 2012

Hello, Jean-François, you said:

> To me there are two questions : the one Maxime asked, ie the homogeneity
> between paragraph style and character style use. The second one is
> whether the tool should encourage to a correct use of the tool or not.
>
> Homogeneity
>
> I share Maxime's thoughts and, imo, both style types should apply the
> same, iow, applying a style should replace the underlying formatting
> (direct or style).
>
> Correct use
>
> Styles are the first reason to adopt LibreOffice. This should be highly
> emphasized and promoted. As a trainer, I always bring questions back to
> styles: "3 times upon 2, using a style solves the problem" (yes, 3 times
> upon 2 ;). Hence, direct formatting should be discouraged. Better yet,
> for instance, pressing the "B"old toolbutton should apply the correct
> character style (bold emphasis by default) instead of setting the bold
> property to the underlying characters.
>
> Side note: I feel a very important need for table styles in Writer.

I actually described the way it is today, but happen to agree with you.
I had been working for a little while on this subject, but haven't been
able to produce a specification for it. Are you either a designer or a
programmer? Would you care joining in the design list to discuss this
subject so maybe we can get it going?

And Maxime, you said:

Hello,

For me, character style and paragraph style should behave the same.
I change my mind and think that character style should behave like the
paragraph style :
If you apply a style on something (text or paragraph) the style should
overwrite the preview style and directs attributs on this something.
If you apply a direct attribut on something the direct attribut should
be merge with the preview style and direct attribut on this something.

But I don?t like very much the idea to force people to use style
formatting?

Regards

Maxime de Roucy

I believe you haven't read Jean-François's response, but if I understood
it well, you do agree with him (and myself). I just want to point out
that nobody will force nothing: people that don't want to mess with
styles (they would be wrong, but it would be OK :-)) could still use
direct formatting, just like you proposed, it would still work. The real
problem would be the character attribute buttons (bold and italic,
mostly): if they applied character styles, like Jean proposed, then
there would be no shortcut for character direct formatting. We would
have to discuss it further on the convenience of this behaviour.

I have one or two ideas on this, but would rather take them to the
design list (you can also join there -- it's in the Cc as well) just to
let this ux-advise list free of early stage discussions.

Cheers./