[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Remove option to hide the scrollbars

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Thu May 17 08:56:16 PDT 2012

Hi Astron,

On 2012-05-11 at 15:51 +0200, Stefan Knorr (Astron) wrote:

> > I'd like to turn the original bug report into an EasyHack to actually
> > remove these settings for good (and hide the scrollbars when they are
> > not necessary, as it is happening now) TOGETHER with decreasing the
> > amount of the situations when the scrollbars appear.
>
> Mostly agree, but it might be a good idea to enforce something like 5
> pixels of document background on all sides, the current 60 pixels seem
> somewhat excessive.

I found the place to patch, and one thing is that it is one value for
both the horizontal and vertical margins; so when I reduce the space to
the left and right, it also reduces at top and bottom.  Having said
that, I think it is a good thing ;-) - but want your opinion
nevertheless, see the screenshots:

When you open new Writer, with fresh user settings:

http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~kendy/design-list/reduced-margin-default.png

Minimal value that is still without the horizontal scrollbar:

http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~kendy/design-list/reduced-margin-minimal.png

Should it be problematic, I can split the value into 2 (horizontal and
vertical), but I don't think it is really necessary.

Feedback appreciated :-)

All the best,
Kendy