[Libreoffice-ux-advise] A sheet by default

Jean-Francois Nifenecker jean-francois.nifenecker at laposte.net
Mon May 21 02:45:37 PDT 2012

Le 21/05/2012 11:33, Mirek M. a écrit :
> Hi everyone,
> I'm wondering -- is there a good reason for creating a spreadsheet with
> three sheets by default instead of with one sheet?
> I feel that creating three sheets by default unnecessarily increases the
> document size and confuses readers of the document, as they have to look
> through all three sheets to see if there is additional content -- and
> they often don't anymore, as they're used to those two sheets being
> empty. That means they're potentially missing out on data should the
> creator have chosen to actually use those two additional sheets.
> Could we make the default one sheet?

As for the file size, here's a test I've just done (Lib0 3.3.4):
Open LibO Calc. Enter "A" in Sheet1.A1,
then
Save as-is (3 default sheets), the file size is 7,413 B
Delete the 2 unused sheets, then save. Now the file size is 7,398 B

-> is a 15 B difference such a big deal?

As for the users' confusion: yes, it might be. OTOH, I think it might
also help users understand a spreadsheet can hold more than one sheet.

As a result, I'd stay with the current 3 default sheets scheme.

--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux