[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Typography

Mirek M. mazelm at gmail.com
Mon May 21 03:11:55 PDT 2012

Hi everyone,
Right now, we have a call for templates [1], and I'd like to introduce a
call for fonts that we could ship with LibreOffice. This would allow us and
our users to create beautiful templates and documents using typography --
something that has been sorely missing from the suite. Many of the
templates from our call for templates [1] already use fonts that aren't
shipped by default.
So I'd like to ask: What are the requirements for a font to be shipped with
LibreOffice? Are all of the open-source font licenses compatible with our
licensing? How many additional fonts (in addition to Liberation fonts or
the Chrome OS fonts) could we ship?

I realize that there will be some compatibility problems as there always
are. Down the line, I'd like us to partner with other open-source projects
and either agree on a set of quality open-source fonts that every piece of
FLOSS software should support (right now, the debate centers around Times,
Arial, and Courier) or integrate FOSS software with online font
repositories, so that it can offer to look for and download a font if the
user doesn't happen to have it installed on his computer.

Right now, though, I think it'd be satisfactory if we just partnered with
Calligra and the Google Docs team to choose some fonts to support.

What do you think?

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Call_for_Templates