[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Mirek's visit in SUSE :-)

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Wed May 23 14:58:36 PDT 2012

Hi,

After we have found that Mirek lives in the same city where I am
located, we agreed to spend a day designing and hacking together in the
SUSE office :-)  I loved it, and must say that it was very fruitful; if
you haven't seen the most recent daily builds, please see the screenshot
(with highlighted changes):

http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~kendy/design-list/mireks-improvements.png

The commits that introduced that are the following:

Lighter border window (no 3d effect):
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=51fdf273e9893d3d05c99a09e1c2e5835a78e891

Zoom slider:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=bc1fd830be6165c364805c2ad09854ecc8e863a6

Layout icons:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=03cb0e5c363fc25f3d2acb60b51acc2369c4afa0

Kill INSRT/OVER (and introduce 'Overwrite' only when overwriting):
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=b30e202861e9bdba4d86e76ba8a6f059da8efc31

I hope nothing of this is controversial :-)

There are few more things still to be done, the most important ones that
we talked are:

- more helpful STD/BLK/... etc. selection statusbar indicator
- improved Windows 7 look (nicer menus + toolbars there, make use of the
  drawing into the non-client area)

I hope to sort out the first one when travelling tomorrow, the other one
needs a mockup / mockups so that I can do something about that [which
can be done via a whiteboard / wiki, I am sure].

Mirek - thank you again, and looking forward to the next such
session! :-)

All the best,
Kendy