[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Disabling file opening and saving in print preview mode

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at gmail.com
Thu May 31 19:13:48 PDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-05-31 at 19:04 +0200, Stefan Knorr (Astron) wrote:
> → reply to list, too
>
> Hi Kohei,
>
> > I noticed that we actually allow saving and loading of document in print
> > preview mode.  But to me that feels very odd.
>
> What sticks out as most odd to me is that our print preview is so
> incredibly cluttered (menu bar + 2 toolbars), whereas e.g. in Firefox
> it is very focused (just a toolbar).
> So, yes, I do agree with this, in general, just the Print Preview
> toolbar should be enough.

Actually (thinking about this again), given the way our current preview
window is implemented, this (i.e. remove the menu bar and the top tool
bar, and only leave the preview toolbar and disable a bunch of other
things) is probably the best we can offer.  Anything else we try to do
would end up causing lots of odd behaviors in many corners, such as bug
fdo#48348.

> However [crazy idea], since we now have a Print dialogue that already
> contains a preview, might it be worth thinking about just removing the
> separate print preview feature and making the print preview inside the
> dialogue a little bigger?

This is a certainly possibility too.  We should keep this idea as a
long-term solution.  In the short-term though, doing the above would be
the solution I'd choose.

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc