[Libreoffice-ux-advise] color managing in LibO

Alexander Wilms alexander.wilms at zoho.com
Thu Nov 15 09:27:24 PST 2012

Hi Markus,

did you take a look at the whiteboard?
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Color_Picker

"While one can argue that
only a few colors are really necessary it creates big problems in
interoperability when you get a document that uses colors that we
don't offer."

We're dealing with issue by having a 'Document colors' view, which would
show all the colors contained in a document (colors also availbale in the
palette that's being used in LibO should probably be hidden).

"Additionaly we have no way to use ARGB right now in the UI while it is
supported in the code. So we should find a solution that most likely
limits the standard color palette but offers an easy way to define
custom colors."

Nice :). I guess we could add a slider/ spin button to the various panes of
the custom color view of the mock-up.

"   - toolbar button for font color, cell background color
       - needs a small pop-up dialog with a button to go to a bigger
dialog for defining custom colors?"

I guess that's not necessary. If one only wants one or two custom colors it
should be easy to define them within the popup. If one wants a whole
palette, one can still use the 'area formatting' dialog and modify/open/save
palettes.

" - color button for example in normal dialogs
       - uses right now a button with the color names"

I think it'd be great if we could use the toolbar-pop within dialogs in
order to increase consisteny and reduce the duplication of functionality.

Michel Renon even made a prototype if you want to get a feeling of how
usable this implementation would be:
http://michel.renon.free.fr/libreoffice/colorpicker_20121112/.

Kind Regards

Alex