[Libreoffice-ux-advise] XML Import

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 08:45:28 PST 2012

Hi Alexander,

On 11/24/2012 11:46 AM, Alexander Wilms wrote:
> Hi Kohei,
>
> here are two versions of the three icons. I'm not sure whether the blue
> 'lines of text' are enough to differentioate betwwen them, so I added more
> colorful versions: http://ubuntuone.com/31ia6eIVjbKsX3zTYbZ08b
>
> Hope that works for you

Thanks a lot for your icons.  They look beautiful.

And I took some screenshots of what they looks like in the actual dialog:

http://people.freedesktop.org/~kohei/xml-source-icons-1.png
http://people.freedesktop.org/~kohei/xml-source-icons-2.png

I have some feedback on the design of the icons.  Firstly, I understand
that they do represent the characteristics of what XML elements
(recurring and non-recurring) and attributes are in the context of an
XML tree (since each icon contains multiple lines representing multiple
elements), but I feel that they look a bit obscured when used in the
tree control.  I believe they would look better if each icon only
represented single, individual element.  I hope this makes sense.

Secondly, with this icon set, it's hard to distinguish attributes from
elements, and I do want them to be visually distinguishable at first
glance.  Perhaps something like using a difference shape for attribute
icon may achieve that effect.  As far as the element and recurring
element, they can look similar, yet with some subtle difference to give
the user that they are different.

Anyway, I'm not a designer, so perhaps there are better ways to address
my concerns.  I'm open for suggestions.

Again, thanks for looking into this. Let me know if you have any
questions and things I can clarify for.

Best,

Kohei

--