[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Libreoffice-ux-advise Digest, Vol 18, Issue 27

Rafael Rocha Daud rrdaud at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 07:08:17 PST 2012

Hi Cor, all,

On 27-11-2012, Cor Nouws <oolst at nouenoff.nl> wrote:
> Hi Rafael, * [ First: the paragraphs in your mail shows up in my
> Thunderbird as one long line. Could you pls check if there is some
> gmail setting curing that :-) Also: If you have the previous mails
> replying to them each and preferably in-line, helps me spending less
> time on mail reading and understanding. Which is useful with all that
> is passing by. thanks ;-) ]
Sorry for that. I had lost the original e-mail and copied from the
website archives, that's why it got all messed up.
> Rafael Rocha Daud wrote (27-11-12 14:53)
>> >Cor, what actions one needs to select a style for? Unless I'm wrong,
>> >they're only right clicking for context menu (then New..., Modify...
>> >or Delete...), which doesn't require single left click first.
> So you suggest to have lift click for applying and right click for
> selecting and the other actions? Sounds fine :-)
> On the other hand, what comes to my mind rapidly is that in most cases a
> user first selects an item in a list-box, and then presses OK (or such),
> or, alternatively double-clicks... So that at least explains the behaviour.
> But since we don't have a button 'apply', indeed I know users sometimes
> are looking around .. ;-)
That's what I was thinking. And then reassign double-click for opening
the Style dialog to modify it. Most actions apply to the
paragraph/character/page under the cursor, and it's also the
pre-selected style in the list, so I guess to select another one should
be a secondary action, hence use a secondary mouse-button.
>> >Apart
>> >from that, about the upper button "New Style from selection", what I
>> >gather is 'selection' here refers to the cursor in the text, not the
>> >style selected in the Stylist.
> Correct. "Text at cursor position / selected" is more appropriate - but
> long...
>
>> >style selected in the Stylist. If we could indeed use single click to
>> >apply a style, then double-click could be assigned to Modify ('edit
>> >style' dialog), which in my opinion would be a productive boost.
> Maybe...
> And what about Delete? Leave that in the context menu?
> Wondering what others think.
I believe Delete is not used as much as Modify, so I guess it's ok to
leave it in the context menu.

> Thanks for your input!
>
> Cor
>
> PS - if at a certain moment we have the feeling that there is not so
> much input on a question and still are a bit in doubt, it might be an
> idea to consult e.g the users list ... with a specific question?
I guess user input would be welcome here, as it seems everyone uses
styles in a different manner. I would ask something like: What are your
most and second most used commands in the Stylist? This should give us a
hint on why people open or keep open the Stylist for, and how they use
it. And then we can facilitate those most used commands, so the Stylist
will feel less ackward (I still remember the first time I face it, many
years ago hahaha).

Kendy, are you the responsible programmer in this matter? Do you plan to
work on the Stylist as you did with the drop down list? Does this
discussion fill in?

Cheers./