[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Killed the ButtonBar in slide sorter

Mirek M. mazelm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 13:03:41 PDT 2012

Hi Kendy,

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Jan Holesovsky <kendy at suse.cz> wrote:

> Hi Mirek,
>
> Mirek M. píše v Út 25. 09. 2012 v 12:19 +0200:
>
> >         Slide duplication was not easily accessible after this, so I
> >         added it to
> >         the right-click menu:
> >

> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=980c82bf423bcf89e17b0e45ffc4d946737b8d7b
> >
> > Could you also show it on the Presentation toolbar?
>
> The "Presentation" toolbar currently has it, but hidden - when you click
> on the arrow next to the "Slide" (it should be called "New Slide", I
> guess), it is at the bottom of the control that appears.  Do you suggest
> to remove it from there, and add a button for that directly on the
> toolbar instead?

Yes.
If you feel like it would waste too much space, you could hide "Slide
design" by default, as it's not very useful in its current state.

> > And perhaps rename the Presentation toolbar to "Slide toolbar", since
> > all of its commands apply to the current slide, not to the
> > presentation as a whole.
>
> Makes sense, will do that.
>
> > I would also propose to move it to the bottom left so that it sits
> > directly under the Slide toolbar, where it can be associated with the
> > current slide (as per ux-natural-mapping [1]).

I meant "Slide pane", not "Slide toolbar", sorry.

> Possible, of course, just it would shift the "Drawing" toolbar to the
> right, and that might hide some items on smaller resolutions.  Could you
> please double-check if we really want that?

First I asked on our G+ page [1].
Then I took another look at it. Here's my take:
1) We should hide the Gallery and the Fontwork gallery by default, as
they're outdated, promote bad habits, result in bad quality, and are hard
to use.
2) "Rotate", "Position and Size", "Alignment", "Arrange", and "Interaction"
are on the Drawing toolbar, but they have little to do with drawing and
apply to a whole range of objects, not just drawings. I would suggest to
put them in a separate toolbar. I would place it to the right of the
toolbar below the Standard toolbar, as it also contains commands related to
the selected object (ux-natural-mapping).

These changes should improve usability in general as well as make room for
the Slide toolbar below the Slide pane.

[1] https://plus.google.com/102673546895803839652/posts