[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Image Rotation in Writer

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Fri Apr 5 02:56:37 PDT 2013

Hi Astron,

Stefan Knorr schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> As you might know, Writer currently does not allow to rotate images
> (unless of course you're willing to use a rather hacky extension).
>
> While the big goal should still be allow freely rotating images in the
> future, inquiring minds would like to know how people would feel about
> being able to rotate in 90 degree steps – since apparently implementing
> that would be a lot easier.
> Also, how would you feel about this being realised via toolbar buttons
> instead of image handles? (We already feature an image toolbar that
> allows to flip (=mirror) an image where it should be easy to add
> Rotate Right and Rotate Left buttons.)

I'm not sure, whether a 90 degree rotation is easier. There is no
problem to rotate the image. That can already be easily done with a
simple matrix transformation. But you need to change the area into which
the image is drawn. And that problem exists for a 90 degree rotation as
well. You cannot rotate the image itself and insert a new rotated one,
because the image might be linked and not embedded. Do you know, how
that would be solved for a 90 degree rotation?

I have already tried to change area into which the image is drawn by
setting suitable crop values. But currently there are heavy display
problems, when using negative values there. The problems with negative
values exists independent of any rotation, try it in the dialog.

Kind regards
Regina