[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Image Rotation in Writer

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Fri Apr 5 08:25:27 PDT 2013

Hi Astron,

Stefan Knorr schrieb:
> Hi Regina, all,
>
> On 5 April 2013 11:56, Regina Henschel <rb.henschel at t-online.de> wrote:
>> I'm not sure, whether a 90 degree rotation is easier. There is no problem to
>> rotate the image. That can already be easily done with a simple matrix
>> transformation. But you need to change the area into which the image is
>> drawn. And that problem exists for a 90 degree rotation as well. You cannot
>> rotate the image itself and insert a new rotated one, because the image
>> might be linked and not embedded. Do you know, how that would be solved for
>> a 90 degree rotation?
>
> So, essentially, you are saying it is easy as long as one is using square images
> but not otherwise?

The rotation itself is not the problem. You can do it with a simple
macro. Select a picture and then try this macro

sub workOnWriterTextGraphic
dim oDocument as variant: oDocument = ThisComponent
dim oCurrentSelection as variant: oCurrentSelection =
oDocument.CurrentSelection
if
Not(oCurrentSelection.supportsService("com.sun.star.text.TextGraphicObject"))
then
	msgbox("Select a picture.")
	exit sub
end if
oCurrentSelection.GraphicRotation=300
end sub

It rotates around a corner. If you want rotation around the center, you
will need some additional steps and calculations. That is what I called
a "matrix transformation".

> So, no I don't know, but Michael came up with this at the call ... I am
> certainly not technical enough to answer that. What works however is rotating
> something in Impress/Draw and then copying the image over – so I guess there is
> a rotation property somewhere, no..? (Or is that the transformation matrices you
> were talking about?)

You cannot compare that. A picture in Impress/Draw, that is pasted from
there into Writer, is technically a total different object than a
picture directly inserted into Writer. They have a different sets of
properties and available methods.

Kind regards
Regina