[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Faenza Icons

Mirek M. mazelm at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 13:01:40 PDT 2013

Hi Bjoern,

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Bjoern Michaelsen <
bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> anyone in contact with these guys?
>

> http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=157970&forumpage=0&PHPSESSID=19364b75b3826103c4b57ee9be0cc55c
>  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwSEJ6skAig
>
> the theme looks really nice and I would love to see it properly upstreamed
> for 4.1.

I remember looking at the Faenza theme [1] and noting that it was GPL
licensed, which would lead to complications with our dual LGPL/MPL
licensing. The LibreOffice Faenza pack seems to be licensed under the LGPL,
though, which might make it simpler to include. However, that seems a bit
fishy to me, given that they are based on Faenza and elementary [2] icons,
both of which are GPL licensed.

Even despite the licensing problems, though, I don't feel like the Faenza
theme is complete enough (it seems that there are only a few dozen icons),
consistent enough, or quality enough (there's an odd use of red in some
icons) to be bundled with LibreOffice.
I have much higher hope for the flat icon theme [3] that we are working on.
(Right now, it's being driven by Issa, but hopefully more people will join.)

[1] http://tiheum.deviantart.com/art/Faenza-Icons-173323228
[2] http://danrabbit.deviantart.com/art/elementary-Icons-65437279
[3] https://github.com/libodesign/flat-icons