[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Use Widget Layout for the Start Center

Mirek M. mazelm at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 03:16:02 PDT 2013

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Mirek M. <mazelm at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> >     master. It is interesting to view the recent documents but there is
>> >     problem in the actual implementation in which it is impossible to
>> see
>> >     the entire name of the file. Do you plan to offer different views
>> of the
>> >     list, like icons, detailed list and compact list?
>> >

>> > My opinion on the matter:
>> > It'd be good to keep the number of views simple.
>> > A detailed list makes sense, but I don't see much of a point in an icon
>> > list (thumbnails are much more informational, icons just show the file
>> > type and are completely useless when you're not on the "All" tab).
>>
>> I disagree, icons are useful even when you are not on the "All" tab to
>> distinguish between ODF, MSO files or other document formats.
>>

> AFAIK, we don't have separate icons for the various file formats right now.
> However, if easy separation between these formats was something we needed,
> we could simply add labels to our thumbnails instead.
> This would add clutter, though, so perhaps presenting this information as
> a file extension might be better.
>

>> I think thumbnails are informational if you have the possibility to zoom
>> temporary on a particular thumbnail to see a more detailed view. In
>> other cases I prefer icons and filenames.
>>

> You should use list view, then. :)
>

>> > I'm not in favor of a compact list either -- if you need a list, use the
>> > detailed list view, if you need to browse quickly, use the thumbnail
>> > view. I realize that the compact view is much more compact, but it
>> > doesn't seem worth the work and the UI overhead.
>>
>> I agree, it was just an example of the different possible views.
>>

>> >     In the mockup (here:
>> >     https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Start_Center)
>> the
>> >     filenames follow the old ms-dos 8 digit rule; am I wrong if I assume
>> >     that, today, nobody still uses that rule in the real life ? ;-)
>> >

>> > Sorry, I left out the handling of long names from the proposal.
>> > Given that Gnome Documents [1] uses the same layout, how about adopting
>> > their way -- limiting the filename to two rows, and if it doesn't fit,
>> > cutting it off about 8 characters from the end of the word, if I'm not
>> > mistaken. You can ask Jon McCann or Jakub Steiner about the specifics,
>> > if you'd like.
>>
>> Why only 2 rows? If the files systems allow to have long filenames,
>> applications should not decide to nullify this functionality.
>>

> I was basing the design on that of Gnome Documents, where the reasoning is
> to keep a nice layout going.
> iWork and Google Drive go even further and allow one line for filenames.
>
> Perhaps you're right, though -- maybe we should leave the file names up to
> the user. Still, I'd be more comfortable limiting the name to at least 3 or
> 4 rows, to make sure a single file doesn't completely break the layout.
>

>> In a detailed list view, each column should be adjustable.

Forgot to comment this:
Here, again, I'd like to adopt the Gnome Documents layout, which is not
adjustable, but works well with just about any reasonable window size.
The columns are:
1) Small thumbnails
2) Titile on the first row, the author in a lighter font on the second row.
This column has maximum width.
3) File type (for us, simply "ODF" or "DOC" would do)
4) Local vs. cloud storage (not applicable for us right now)
5) Date of last edit.

That said, maybe the list view is a bit premature at this point.

Indeed it is