[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Use Widget Layout for the Start Center

Alexander Thurgood alex.thurgood at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 04:32:39 PDT 2013

Le 26/08/13 09:42, Tor Lillqvist a écrit :

> Well, the whole Start Centre concept is alien to OS X and Windows if you
> ask me... That we use it on those platforms, too, is just because we
> don't have resources to DTRT.

Yup.

For example, when you launch the Pages application, you get the basic
OSX Finder window in the default directory where documents are stored
(i.e. "Documents"), and a "New Document" button to the bottom left of
the window. Clicking on this then opens the Template dialog window, with
a list of possible template categories in the left hand pane, and
previews of these templates in the main window pane. Note that the
templates are displayed as if they were on a lighttable, with a black
background.

TextEdit does the OSX Finder dialog first.

MS Word/Excel/Powerpoint 2011 for Mac opens the Template dialog window
immediately, without going through a Finder dialog first, using a same
black background lighttable display. Online templates are available by a
simple click on the corresponding menu entry in the left hand pane.

The nearest I've found to the proposed new LO startscreen on OSX is
Scribus 1.3.8 ;-)

Alex