[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Bug 56973 - UI: Copy / Paste sole sheet of a spreadsheet wrongly looks inactive

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Mon Feb 11 07:52:02 PST 2013

Rainer Bielefeld-2 wrote
> Is there any style guideline concerning items greyed out in  UI?

Disabled controls have to show their correct state. Neither the state nor
any other property should not be treated as "doesn't matter". If on/off
really does not have consequences in the specific situation it should be set
to the default.

Rainer Bielefeld-2 wrote
> My opinion:
> a) Do not show checkboxes without function

A control must not be hidden unless it never applies (to the current user
for instance).

In my opinion the actual dialog behaves correct. One doesn't have  the
option to move a sheet, and to copy is the default. Both items are grouped
(usually for radiobuttons) so both are disabled.
If one (or more) items of a group are disabled but user can still choose
from other items, that would sends some kind of schizophrenic signal to
users.