[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Template manager - the menu entries

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Mon Jan 14 11:32:25 PST 2013

Hi Cedric,

Cedric Bosdonnat wrote (14-01-13 09:30)

> The idea of a new template manager was to bring the content of that old
> menu to the users. At least now they don't have to discover that item
> (too far down in the File Menu) that triggers a sub-menu.

Is there a certain position in the menu's below which items are so far
that they could be considered as not useful?
If so, the older menu sh/could have moved above that line ? ;-)

> Instead they will discover that they can do things with templates in the
> new dialog.

There is some positive perspective in this thought indeed.
But first users need to discover that.
And I still see File > New .. for editing or managing not as a natural
route.
Besides that: the old dialog also offerd Organise and Edit options (of
course in a indirect and not so good and pretty way as now, but it was
there.)

Maybe others have an idea / argument here?

>> It is easier to find.
>> It is consistent with what people know.
>
> Advanced users know it... the idea is to help people using templates
> even if they aren't advanced users.

But in the old situation the users also find Edit and Organise in the
menu File > New > Templates and documents.

> The old menu's features are either in the new dialog or in other places
> of the UI: that's why the whole submenu and it's content was dropped.

See previous remark. Old features already where there.
In this, I still fail to see a good argument why the old sub-menu is
dropped.

> Suggestions are nice,

Thanks :-)

> but pretty not welcomed now for 4.0.x as we passed
> string freeze (or our localizers friends won't be happy).

I'm not sure if it is helpful to start arguing about what is in time and
not (I have multiple arguments that make it reasonable for me to bring
in my arguments now). And apart from that, it does not have to be (close
to) perfect from the first release, is it?

I'm still seriously looking for what is good here.

Thanks for your work and reply,
Cor

--
  - Cor