[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Use Widget Layout for the Start Center

Mirek M. mazelm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 01:47:11 PDT 2013

Hi Krisztian,

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Krisztian Pinter
<pin.terminator at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I'm working on this GSoC project:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Gsoc/Ideas#Use_Widget_Layout_for_the_Start_Center
>
> "Currently, the Start Center (the start screen you get when you start
> LibreOffice) is only a static bitmap, with few buttons and links. It would
> be useful to present few recently used documents there (as thumbnails), and
> do more fancy stuff.
> See this overview and WidgetLayout to get more information about the
> Widget Layout (this part is actually very similar to the above mentioned
> task). Additionally, code for rendering the thumbnails will have to be
> introduced, and maybe some code sharing with the new Template Manager will
> be needed too."

Sounds good. I was about to say that perhaps you could try to reuse the
Template Manager's thumbnail rendering.

> I've already converted the current startcenter to .ui, and it has been
> merged to master, but it's still being improved. I'm currently working on
> adding thumbnails for recent docs.
>
> I'd like to request a mockup for the startcenter (with thumbnails for
> recent docs), so we can make it look nice and pretty.

I started a whiteboard for it:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Start_Center.

> Kendy, my GSoC mentor, listed these points as his preference:
> >* Keep the buttons to start apps some way (but they could be smaller or
> organized another way
> >* Keep the LibreOffice logo, but the other visual things (like the
> shadows etc.) might go from my point of view
> >* Make it resizable, so that the screen size is better used (ie. no more
> fixed rectangle in the middle of the screen)

I tried to incorporate these into the scope. Take a look at it and feel
free to make changes based on what you feel like doing. :)

Thanks for working on this!