[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Remove outdated Gallery images

Mirek M. mazelm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 04:42:18 PDT 2013

Hi Samuel,

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM, Samuel Mehrbrodt <s.mehrbrodt at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I created a patch that removes the outdated Gallery images:
> https://gerrit.libreoffice.**org/4993<https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/4993>
> Now there were some objections because of breaking old documents (when
> people have linked content from the gallery into their documents).

Could you remove the GUI for linking Gallery images? (I notice that the
choice is presented via a right-click menu and in the "Bullets and
Numbering" dialog, but perhaps there are other choices?)
Documents should never rely on stuff shipped with LibreOffice. If they do,
the user will sooner or later be stuck on an outdated version of
LibreOffice.

Also I removed the bullets which are used in the "Bullets and Numbering"
> dialog.
>

> You can some opinions on the thread on the Dev list here: http://nabble.**
> documentfoundation.org/**Comment-on-patch-quot-Remove-**
> old-outdated-gallery-images-**and-sounds-quot-td4066477.html<http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Comment-on-patch-quot-Remove-old-outdated-gallery-images-and-sounds-quot-td4066477.html>
>
> Now the questions are:
> - Is it ok to break old documents by removing these images from the
> galleries?

Yes, but it might be good to provide an option to get the graphics via an
extension. Would that be possible?

- Do we also want to remove the sounds?

I would say yes, but again, would be good to have an extension to bring
them back for those who unwisely linked them.

> - Do we also want to remove the whole "Graphical bullets" feature?

No. I can imagine graphical bullets being useful [1], but it'd be good to
have a GUI for importing them. A simple "Add..." button in the Graphic
bullets section in LibreOffice would suffice.

> Please share your thoughts.
>
> Thanks
> Samuel

[1] Here's someone asking how to import their own bullets:
http://en.libreofficeforum.org/node/2280