[Libreoffice-ux-advise] [GSoC] Refreshed Android Impress Remote

Artur Dryomov artur.dryomov at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 08:54:01 PDT 2013

Hi Mirek,

> I created a new whiteboard for the redesign: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Impress_remote_2 .
> The scope is based on what you wrote. Feel free to edit it.

Looks great, thanks!

> I prefer Astron's notes UI proposal: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87946285/libreoffice/impremoteuimockup.svg .

Yep, looks promising. And it is also surprising how similar it is to my proposal after a half a year :-)
There is only one problem — such kind of interaction is not typical for Android.
The bottom bar should be shown if there are no space for buttons at a single action bar above [1].
The idea is pretty nice anyway and I like the direction.

> Would it be possible to see if there are notes, and if there aren't, to just not show the note UI?

It is possible of course.

> The thing is, when presenting, it's useful to see the timer at all times, so that you can speed up or slow down based on how much time you have left. It's too distracting to have to pull down the notification shade, look for the LibO timer, and then pull it up again at times during the presentation
> On the other hand, it's not very useful to see the presentation title, which is why the current implementation shows the timer instead of the title.

You are right, notifications usage is not a solution even if it is possible to view a presentation time directly at the status bar.
If there will be a presentation time at the status bar it will be messy, because there will be this time on the left and the current time on the right.

There are three time variations at moment.
* The current time. It is useless and can be removed safely because the current time always visible at the status bar.
* The timer. It needs time setting before usage.
* The stopwatch. It needs to be started.

Plus some actions like restarting timer would be useful.
Sounds like a complex task but it should be as simple as possible for users.
Let me think about it, I have no nice ideas at moment.

Regards,
Artur.

[1]: http://developer.android.com/design/patterns/actionbar.html#considerations-split-action-bars