[Libreoffice-ux-advise] How to provide horizontal rule paragraph separators

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Sat Jun 15 05:19:39 PDT 2013

Hi,

V Stuart Foote schrieb:
> During code maintenance preparing for LibreOffice 4.0 the feature set for
> Insert -> Horizontal Ruler...  for direct styling of the swrite component
> was removed. This has caused some problems for  compatibility and
> maintenance of  .ODT documents created in earlier versions.
>
> These are not the <HR> or <HR  /> tags of HTML 4 or  XML markup.

The menu provides two kind of rulers. The first one "Plain" is a
paragraph with paragraph style "Horizontal Line". In import and export
filter for html this is transformed to a <hr> tag.

  Rather
> these Horizontal Rulers function as paragraph separators. And while some
> provisions of paragraph styles remains there has been a loss of ability to
> incorporate a graphically pleasing separator.

That is the real problem. The graphics were collected in a gallery
theme, that is no longer available.

The first kind of rulers, this "Plain" ruler, can still be made by
applying the paragraph style "Horizontal Line". There is no need for a
special menu item. But the way to use the paragraph style directly
should be mentioned in release note and/or help.

For the ruler-graphics I suggest to again deliver this theme, to not
break existing documents.

Kind regards
Regina