[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Pivot Table data provider extension framework (removal possibility)

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 09:24:01 PDT 2013

On 03/12/2013 11:41 AM, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'd like to ask whether someone actually uses this Pivot Table data
> provider extension framework, because I'd like to remove this if nobody
> is using it, or only few people are using it.

I have a cunning idea. Since one of the difficulties on this is to reach
out to the actual users of this functionality, I'd like to remove the
4th check box from the current pivot table data source selection dialog
in 4.1 (and maybe 4.0.x if you guys agree) and see if anyone reports it
as a "bug".

To recap, the current "Select Source" dialog offers 4 choices:

* Current selection (cell range in sheet)
* Named range
* Data source registered in LibreOffice (database connectivity)
* External source/interface (data provider)

and I propose to remove the last choice from this dialog as the first step.

If, by 4.1, nobody complains, then we assume it's safe to remove this.
If someone complains, then we'll start a dialogue with that person (or
persons).  Even then, I still would like to remove this UNO layer but
offer some sort of alternative if the current database connectivity is
not sufficient (for whatever reason).

What do you think of this plan?

Kohei

--