[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Template manager issues pending

Michel Renon michel.renon at free.fr
Fri May 10 15:59:13 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Le 10/05/2013 17:06, Cor Nouws a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> Worked myself through the list with template related issues and - apart
> from all great progress - found a few that are still open. And with 4.1
> approaching rapidly...
> 60589 - [Template manager]: Can not copy styles between different files
> and templates

I would say that the only one being able to work on that is Mirek : as
he strongly designed the new Template Manager, he must know how to do that.
*why is Mirek silent for such a long time on this subject ?*

As I really don't understand how the new Template Manager was designed,
I absolutely have no idea how to correct that bug in the new Template
Manager.

My only proposal is based on something existing :
(I just saw it has already been proposed by Raphael on 09/04/2013)
in the "Styles & Formatting" window, there are buttons on top. In
Writer, there is even a popup with an action "Load Styles..." :
It opens a dialog that has nearly what you need :
- the list of categories of templates, then the list of templates
- it can copy some styles from the selected template to the current
document.

My idea is to simply extend it by integrating code from old template
manager (v3.6). As those dialogs seems similar, I suppose it should not
require a complete rewrite.

Then, maybe add this action ("Load Styles...") in "Styles & Formatting"
for Calc, Impress and Draw.

If you think it might be a solution, then I can make a more precise
proposal.

> 61396 - FILEOPEN: [Template Manager]Possibility to edit a template that
> is not in the repository, is lacking

I saw a comment with the proposal :
"when a user does "Open" from the "File" menu and selects a template,
then LO should open the template" ; instead of creating a new file from
the template".
It seems to be a coherent behavior : the user selects the command "open"
so LO must open. When the user selects "new from template", then LO must
create a new file from a template.

If you really want to prevent modification of bad file, maybe add an
dialog asking confirmation : "Do you really want to open the template
'test.ott' ? or create a new file from this template ?"

> and related
> 59427 -  [Template Manager] low discoverability of new template manager
> - we could use "File → Organize templates" menu

I agree

Cheers,
Michel