[Libreoffice-ux-advise] Template manager issues pending

Michel Renon michel.renon at free.fr
Mon May 20 07:25:29 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Le 20/05/2013 02:28, Cor Nouws a écrit :
> Cor Nouws wrote (20-05-13 01:39)
>
>>> only managed to add the checkbox option to the gtk+, kde4
>>> and native dialogs, still pending the windows one and mac, but i dont
>>> have access to a mac, so its hard to work on that one.
>>
>> Joren - also in cc here - does have and does some useful patches now and
>> then. No idea if he would be able and willing... just posting the
>> hint  ;)
>
> Another idea - by far the simplest, but less elegant -
> When a user opens a template, give a popup  ( :D )
>
>    You choose a template
>    Do you want a new file from that
>    template or edit the template ?
>    [[ New document ]]  [  Edit template  ]
>
> New document = default
>
> Ideas?

Well, that was already proposed 2 times in this thread !
;-)

First by Raphael on 09/04/2013, then myself on 11/05/2013.

Mirek and Cedric acknowledged that it should be the right way to do.

The remaining point seems to be how to ask user :
- a modal dialog ?
- an infobar ?

is 'infobar' something like that :
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Infobar ?

so, IMHO, I think that an infobar is too late in the opening process :
- the infobar is shown above the newly created window (the opened
template or the newly created file)
- if a click in a button of infobar closes the current window and open
another, it may disturb the user
- is it technically ok to close the current window and open another from
an infobar ?

It seems to me that a simple dialog before opening template/creating new
file is technically much simpler and more obvious for users.

Michel