[Libreoffice-ux-advise] LO's styles are more confusing then MSO's (Was Re: some thoughts on the Sidebar)

Jean-Francois Nifenecker jean-francois.nifenecker at laposte.net
Sun Sep 29 00:40:20 PDT 2013

Hi,

Le 18/09/2013 18:38, dollyp a écrit :

> I think that it is too simplistic to just think that styles are the answer
> to everything.

Well, no. What's simplistic is to think a computer is a glorified
typewriter. Unfortunately for the masses and for more than 20 years,
*all* software publishers (the MSs, WordStar, Borland, incl. Star
Division and Sun when it comes to OOo/LibO/AOO) have always used that
motto: "computing is easy". That motto is meant to please the bosses:
easy means costless with no or little training. To John Doe it means he
may use the computer at home effortlessly, even grandpa and grandma may.

Sorry to rain on your party: this is plain wrong.

Computing has to be learnt, just like any other technique or craft.
Those who miss that requirement will stay away from the big picture, I'm
afraid.

-> Using a computer is difficult.

Noone wants to hear these words, but they have to be told.

--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux