[Libreoffice-ux-advise] GSOC work on Special Character dialog

V Stuart Foote VStuart.Foote at utsa.edu
Thu Jul 20 15:27:05 UTC 2017

Heiko, *

Will do,  but would point out that we are not "adding" the feature it is
already there and functions well. It has been removed with no replacement in
the refactored dialog.

I would liken its function to the expandable "Formula bar Input line" in
Calc, and the Commands Window in the Math formula editor.  Like these, it
provides the UI for input of text strings (e.g. a place name,  or several
proper names localized)  in any script without dependence on an OS supported
IME.

In that context it is an essential tool for supporting Unicode in general
and polyglot usage. I'd say that is far more than 5% of our users.

Stuart