[Libreoffice] [UX] LO status bar annoyances

Kohei Yoshida kyoshida at novell.com
Wed Dec 1 13:00:29 PST 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 08:16 +0100, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
> Part 2 on the Changed icon part.
>
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 22:31:44 +0100, Christoph Noack wrote:
> > DOCUMENT CHANGED INDICATION>
> > A solution should:
> >       * just work
> >       * be unobtrusive (don't catch attention if it isn't required,
> >         don't waste space)
> >       * be self-explanatory (if possible)
> Right
>
> Ideally, we would not need that status bar and change the "Save" icon
> depending on whether there are changes that can be saved or not
> (e.g. overlay it with a yellow asterisk or so). I am one of the persons
> that agree that the save button should always work. But that doesn't
> mean that the save button cannot convey information on whether it is
> currently sensible to do so. (Alternatively gray it out if unmodified,
> but still allow it to be pressed). This would be my favorite
> solution. Putting that aside, let's work on making the status bar icon
> non-annoying, our ideas are pretty much the same.
>
> > But the current solution isn't perfect, of course. Current issues:
> >       * The extended help tip still mentions the '*' for a changed
> >         document.
>
> Right, tiny issue
> >       * For unsaved documents, the normal tool tip mentions "The
> >         document has not been modified since the last save." (Small
> >         issue, may not be changed).
> I don't have a problem with that, except that I have to mouse over an
> apparently empty are to see that toolbar. Why not always have an icon
> that changes appearance?

That was my initial idea, but the icon author apparently had a different
idea.

This is what it looked like originally:
http://kohei.us/2009/07/27/hackweek-minor-polish/

which was a bad rip-off of the current save icon, hence updated to the
current, new, originally authored icons.

Now, as I said in my other post, I would very much like to have someone
with good artistic sense to help me come up with new images to replace
the current ones.  I'll try to find the current images and post them to
the list shortly.

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc