[Libreoffice] bootstrap / configure defaults ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Thu Dec 2 04:12:41 PST 2010

So,

On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 11:31 +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	Right - good point; I notice a number of these changes - so I'm working
> through build/distro-config/LibreOfficeLinuxDevel.conf - to switch the
> polarity of the default arguments to match that.

	I worked through the above default distro config; and winkled out a
number of defaults to hack into the inner configure; but I got tired and
indecisive towards the end; hence this mail.

	My essential premise - is that we should be making the default build,
as fast, reliable and painless for our entry-level new developers as
possible: which means they shouldn't have to pass any exotic autogen /
configure flags to get a good working build.

	Anyhow:

* Changed defaults (new default is as if with this param):
	--enable-broffice --disable-epm
	--enable-cairo	--enable-hids
	--enable-lockdown --enable-opengl [ disallowed for win32 ]
	--with-system-python [ without which gdb fails horribly ]
	* and removed the obsolete PAM checks we had

* The remaining options for which defaults may need changing are:

	--disable-binfilter # it was the default to not build it ...
		+ IMHO we should not be building this for most
		  developers by default, compile time is already
		  too long.
		+ I've disabled it by default, please scream if you
		  violently object [ it has been like this for a month+
		  by default (or just add --enable-binfilter to your
		  build). ]

	--without-system-jars
	--disable-crypt-link
	--disable-randr-link
	--without-system-mesa-headers
		+ misc. pieces to use/not use system stuff by default
		  any violent opinions ?

	--with-extension-integration
	--enable-ext-presenter-minimizer
	--enable-ext-presenter-console
	--enable-ext-pdfimport
	--enable-ext-wiki-publisher
	--enable-ext-report-builder
		+ it seems we stopped building and installing all these
		  useful extensions

	--with-ant-home=$BUILDDIR/$APACHE_ANT
		+ and have to have a system ant now [ should that be the
		  default ? ]

	--with-system-dicts
	--with-external-dict-dir=/usr/share/hunspell
	--with-external-hyph-dir=/usr/share/hyphen
	--with-external-thes-dir=/usr/share/mythes
	--with-dict=ALL
	--without-myspell-dicts
		+ are dictionaries that interesting to developers
		  anyway ? I suggest not migrating these.

	--enable-zenity
		+ I like this ;-) and if DISPLAY is not set it is not
		  used anyway.

	Thoughts / flames ?

	HTH,

		Michael.