[Libreoffice] bootstrap / configure defaults ...

Andras Timar timar74 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 06:45:13 PST 2010

2010/12/2 Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at novell.com>:
>        --with-system-dicts
>        --with-external-dict-dir=/usr/share/hunspell
>        --with-external-hyph-dir=/usr/share/hyphen
>        --with-external-thes-dir=/usr/share/mythes
>        --with-dict=ALL
>        --without-myspell-dicts
>                + are dictionaries that interesting to developers
>                  anyway ? I suggest not migrating these.

--with-system-dicts does not make sense on Windows. Even on Linux
using system wide dictionaries makes sense only in case of
spellcheckers, a lot of programs use them. However, I'm not sure if
hyphenation patterns are used by anything other than LibO (Scribus
maybe?). I also don't know if thesaurus can be used by other software
than LibO. Not all Linux distributions package all dictionaries for
all languages, or the packages may be outdated. Therefore I think that
it is very comfortable to have the dictionaries installed out of box.
I think that we should include them in the official LibreOffice build.

Packagers can set  --with-system-dicts if they are sure, that their
distro packages up-to-date dictionaries.

BTW. the word "myspell" in the option is misleading, it should be
"hunspell" because nowadays a lot of dictionaries use Hunspell
features and are not compatible with the old MySpell library.

Best regards,
Andras