[Libreoffice] Export OLE objects as PDF / graphics

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Thu Dec 2 07:23:06 PST 2010

Hi Gert,

On Fri, 2010-11-26 at 22:34 +0100, Gert Faller wrote:
> and here is the same for calc (with Hidden=sal_True of course), I've just
> finished the build and the review.

	Sorry pardon; after some big and painful thrash trying to get RC1 into
good shape, I finally took a look at this.

	First - it is a nice feature to have :-) so good work.

	However - as always there are a number of nits to pick, which is why it
is an experimental feature and writer-only for now,

	* Firstly - we -really- don't want to cut/paste this big block
	  of code around the place into the other components, so we need
	  to move it to some shared place before we can go there.
		+ somewhere in svx/ might be a good home as Caolan
		  suggested

	* Misc issues
		+ Formula objects
			+ no PDF exported :-)
				+ does the controller method work well
				  here ?
			+ JPEG aspect ratio very odd
				+ cut/paste into draw likewise
		+ Insert->Chart
			+ JPEG export is odly cropped

		+ Translation
			+ the file dialogs need translated title strings
			  cf. SW_RES() and STR_CENTER_VERT in same file:
			  sw/source/ui/shells/frmsh.cxx

		+ single Export menu item ?
			+ select different file-types via the filter
			  list (saves UI clutter), and just as
			  discoverable

		+ flash/bang of transient draw document rendering on
		  JPEG save.

	* Potentially pasting the objects as a GDI meta-file
	  something we can easily do already for OLE objects
	  gives a better result.
		+ Hopefully we could do this more uniformly for all
		  objects, and export formats: PDF, PNG, JPEG etc.
		+ Indeed, if we could go directly from that GDI
		  meta-file to an image (without the temporary draw)
		  document life would be a lot better I think.
		+ Thorsten any ideas on that path ? :-)

	Anyhow - it's a lot better than nothing, and a useful feature - so
thanks ! and looking forward to it getting polished & enabled by
default.

	All the best & sorry again for the delay,

	Regards,

		Michael.