[Libreoffice] defaulting to --without-java ... (?)

Rene Engelhard rene at debian.org
Thu Dec 2 08:56:19 PST 2010

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 05:45:17PM +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> >> (without the bogus version dependencies), quicker to compile, and faster
> >> to run (I hope) ;-)
>
> Faste to run? Surely not. Java is only loaded when java-stuff is actually used.

Actually observations show it does make a difference.

> >>        It might also help us address some of the nasties on Windows -
> >> where we
> >> cannot easily ship a JRE everywhere.
>
> Don't mix runtime with buildtime please...
> If you're suggesting to also disable java for the released builds,
> then I scream even louder.

ACK. And I don't think people - even if they built themselves - should get a
build in which some stuff ON PURPOSE does not work.

> >> [...]
> >>        You have a day to scream 'STOP', 'LOOK', 'LISTEN' :-) failing that
> >> suggest we tweak the default tomorrow.
>
> The /defaults/ should be as close to what the shipped product will use.

ACK. ((Though --without-java in some way would  help to test the chronically
untested --without-java build)

> If you want to not break when no JDK is installed, then go ahead and
> turn it into a warning "No JDK found, java support will be disabled"
> or similar, but please don't switch the default around.

I disagree. Default should stay as-is, as much as one might dislike Java and/or the
Java dependeny.

Grüße/Regards,

René
--
 .''`.  René Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 `. `'  rene at debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: D03E3E70